Thursday, May 7, 2009

Busy hands are the devil's idle workshop

As if the life of a clerk is not complicated enough, what with keeping up with 18th century finance and trade, ink making and writing, not to mention having a real life (as we know it) . . .

I decided since fish comprise a huge portion of the food eaten at posts of the fur trade, and that much time is spent catching those fish or fixing nets, I needed a net.

How hard is it to find a good, period net?

I don't know. I haven't found one.

So, I determined to make my own out of hemp cordage. I'll post some photos when I have a chance. Suffice it to say, after a week of off and on construction, I know how a fish net was constructed, not to mention the actual act of knitting the whole thing together.

It was supposed to be 10' x 2' or so. Well, the cordage has its own idea of how much it needs to stretch to work. I'm 2/3 of the way through; it's closed to 18'x 3' with four rows of netting still to go.

Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make my netting grow . . . all it takes is some hemp knit so, and someone with no time to really spend on it . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment